Sunday, December 26, 2010

"Tron: Legacy" Movie Review

Spoilers...blah blah blah...Spoilers.

Also, I wrote this  early in the morning, so it's a bit disjointed. 

I would like to start out by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and that it was a very fun, if not theologically wonky, ride and that I would recommend seeing it in 3D as opposed to 2D because you will realize by the title sequence that you should have sprung for the 3D tickets if you see it in 2D. That being said let us analyze it.

Let's start with the plot. So, it''s basically the same plot as before with a few twists. I'm serious. I'm not complaining, but it's essentially that same thing. You're watching Sam Flynn break into Encom and thinking, "hey, this looks familiar." He gets onto the Grid and picked up and put into the games and you're like, "hey, this look familiar too!" And then he get's off-Grid...like his dad. It's all very similar. He has to fight his way to the center to this massive light to get out...like his dad. I'm not complaining--it's awesome, but it's the same idea. I mean, you even have the sort of revealing and deep conversation on the Solar Sailer thing across the sea (to the massive light). Honestly though, I am NOT complaining. It was faster, not by much, than the first one, but still the same plot outline. 

Speaking of similarities, let me quickly address the theology of the film. Now, I know what you're thinking: "Theology? In a techie movie about programs? You're joking?" Nope. Not at all. If you've seen the first one then remember with me the massive, MASSIVE Christian theme going throughout it about still fighting for God...I mean the Users. Same general idea in this one, but now, Jes--I mean Sam has come into the picture: Flynn's Son. Basically, Flynn=God, Sam=Jesus, and Kora=Holy Spirit. Ish. Seriously. This is all very New Testament what with Sam coming in to save the Grid from Clu 2, who came from Flynn and then challenged him thinking he was equal with him. Sound familiar? And, with the help of Flynn, Sam beats Clu and goes back to the world with Kora to change it. I mean, it's not perfect. Flynn is imperfect and has given up hope, he joins with Clu at the end, he didn't create Kora, he didn't send his son to the Grid--lot of issues, but when Kora says things along the lines of "He saved me," what else am I supposed to think? Now, the theology isn't all the same within the two films. Flynn goes off an tires this Buddhist thing which doesn't work. Funny how doing nothing and "removing yourself from the equation" does that. So, am I super happy with the theology? No. Will I deal with it and move on? Yep.

What else? Ah. Yes. Characters.
Flynn: He does a bit of development. He goes from annoyingly pacifistic to awesome to a tad less cool (last three minutes of the film were...disappointing). But he develops and it was cool to see Jeff Bridges acting like it was the 80s. So nice.
Sam: Well, see, he matures and becomes less cynical and steps up to responsibility. Not bad.
Kora: What was her purpose? To look sexy (as a straight woman, I am perfectly comfortable saying that she accomplished that) and to provide some plot point (which she did). Did she really develop? Yes. I guess, but not as much as the others. But let's be honest. Are we seeing this for character development? No!

Visual Effects. THIS is why we saw the movie. I'm not sure where to start to be honest. But the moment Sam get's on Grid and the Recognizer picks him up, you find yourself a bit breathless just because you are remembering the first movie and seeing the landscape of it the way you always wanted it to be. The Recognizers, the disks, the light bikes, the solar sailer, the Grid, off Grid, the costumes--everything. Everything about the visual effects it awesome. I mean, there are some continuity issues with the light bikes, but you don't care because from the moment Clu jumps into his bike you've been taken hook, line, and sinker. And the light jets are stellar. That is a very cool scene for a number of reasons. I'll digress and indulge for a sec: That scene is stellar. It's intense, high action, fun, and redemptive. I submit the greatest bit about that scene: "I fight for the Users." 'Nuff said. Honestly though--the effects are great. The buildings, the lighting--I could go on about the technical aspects of the movie from the costumes, to the cinematography, to the sound editing (which was rubbish to be honest), to the animation (which, aside from Clu's face was flawless), but I'll stop and go onto something I know more about:

Music. I'm actually listening to the score on youtube as I write this. It works well for the movie, but it's not very original and it's not very diverse.It's very, VERY Hans Zimmer. It sounds like a combination of his "Inception" and his "Dark Knight." But I like it more than "Inception." (Oh, may I just point out that the visual effects of this movie were meant to crush any dreams (pun intended) of "Inception" winning any sort of visual affects award--ever. Thank you.) The score isn't bad, but it's just not Oscar stuff. It's techno meets movie score and I love it, but they basically stole Hans Zimmer. Still, I would imagine that they are better musicians than him and can read music, which Zimmer cannot do. Not to put too fine a point on that. For the record: "Outlands" is a brilliant piece. 

What else. Let's see...Castor. Very fun. Very cool. He was terribly entertaining. Actually, that scene was brilliant. It was a bit dull, well, as dull as it can be with Castor, until Flynn showed up. I love that Daft Punk just started playing fight music as the disk jockies. Funny. Very funny. But when Flynn showed up the equation changed and he was awesome again. 

Ah. Yes. Let's talk about the homages to the original. Dillinger's son, the storage carrier having the label "Dumont" on it, the blue water, the touch screen desks--oh, so much. So much goodness. And Tron. Oh my gosh. When I realized who he was, I wanted to cry. I thought, "You can't do that to him! He's* Tron*, you evil Program! Jerk." And then, "I fight for the Users." Cheering in the theater, opening night. Brilliant. (Question: WHAT HAPPENED TO TRON?!) Also, I enjoyed that Flynn's and Clu's speeches paralleled. Very nice. Very nice indeed. I was waiting for Clu to say "This is out destiny!" Very nice bit of writing. 

Speaking of which...

The dialogue wasn't that good. Some of the lines were funny, others awkward, other forced, but for the most part, it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it a lot. I can forgive most of the problems with this movie because it was just so much fun and so entertaining. It doesn't help that I really liked the first one and so all of the nostalgic touches made my day. 

So. Over all. Better than the first? Well, yes. I hate to say it, but yes. But in a different way than  the first. The epicness of the this movie does not diminish that of the first. Not in the least bit. 

Where does it rank on my list of movies this year? Well, my list either goes "Dragon," "Tron," "A-Team," "Sorcerers," other movies ending with "Inception"/"Shutter Island." Or with "Tron" first. Dunno yet. I loved "Dragon," but this was excellent. 

So. 
Acting: B/B+
Visual Effects: A+
Lighting: A
Cinematography: A
Sound: C-
Plot: B
Dialogue: B
Characters: A-
Choreography: A+
Editing: B+/A-
Music: C/A (lack of originality v. fun)

Total: A

I recommend this movie--it's brilliant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment